Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Easy clean seat-cushion


Mealtimes with Ry-pie have become somewhat, well, disgusting. She's at the stage where maybe, just maybe a quarter of her food gets consumed, while the other three quarters gets either dumped on the floor or ends up all over her lap.

Her highchair is a hand-me-down from big brother but his seat cover had been ripped to shreds so i dumped it. I made her a simple little seat cushion awhile back but after every meal it would just wind up so, GROSS. I hated having to wash it every single time (which I never did), or try and pick off the crusted brown banana bits, or whatever, that would dry up on it.

I needed to come up with something that was easy to clean, but would still offer her a little tush-cush. Luckily, I had found this table cloth at Target the other day. On clearance no less! It's the perfect oil-clothy material that I was needing.

I just measured her seat and added about 1/2" for the seam allowance. I doubled up the fabric and cut out the material, mine measured 12"X14" (including the 1/2" allowance).

Place the fabric right side together and sew all the way around, backstitching at the beginning and end. Leave about a 3" opening on one side for stuffing later.



Turn cover inside out.

This highchair has a 3-point harness so I also cut a 1" by 2" opening and stitched around the entire opening I had made to insert the attachment belt through.


Now just stuff the cover until it feels comfortable enough to your liking or for your little ones rump. Finish by sewing the opening side closed.

Easy cleanup. Just rinse and wipe and we're done. Maybe mealtime will be somewhat more enjoyable.... at least the cleanup part will be. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...