Monday, June 6, 2011

Easy Smocked Top



Have you ever seen this smocked material at the fabric store before? I'm sure you have. I've been wanting to try it out and use it for awhile now and finally got around to giving it a whirl. They have all sorts of prints and lengths to choose from. I chose the simple white one in the shortest length to make a little shirt for Ry-pie.

Here's how I put it together :


Measure around your little ones chest. Ry-pies chest measured just shy of 19" so I cut the fabric at 19 1/4" to allow for a little seam allowance.

Place cut sides, right sides together and serge. If you don't have a serger just sew up the side and then zig-zag stitch or cut with pinking shears to prevent fraying.


Take some ribbon. I didn't have any white grosgrain ribbon so I used this skinny little satin ribbon for the straps.

I put the shirt on Ry-pie and measured how long I wanted the straps and decided where to place them. Since these straps are so skinny I cut 4 sets of ribbon, 3 ribbon per set - all 10" long.

I marked the placement of the straps with my straight-pins.

I placed the ribbon on top of the first and second rows of smocking. I then sewed the ribbon across each of the smocking to make sure it was nice and secure.

And there you have it! An easy and nice and breezy little smocked top! :)

I love the tie-straps at the shoulders....

that is if your little one doesn't keep un-tyeing them.

She looks super thrilled doesn't she?

A definite diva with her hand on the hip move.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...