Friday, May 21, 2010

Blueberry pies



This was adapted from a Martha Stewart Everday Food recipe. Here are her directions And I'll just explain how I did it.

Ingredients:
Crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4-8 tablespoons ice water

Filling:
2 cups mixed berries (fresh or frozen), such as blackberries (halved if large), blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (quartered)
I only had blueberries on hand so that's what I used. I love the fact that I could use frozen berries!
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

So I'm not the greatest "crust" maker but it's pretty easy to make.

Add your flour, sugar, and salt into a food processor and blend lightly. The original recipe called for 1 tsp of salt but I used salted butter so I cut it down to 1/4 tsp instead.



Cut your butter into small chunks. When making pie crusts it has to be SUPER cold so I usually do this first then cover it and put it in the freezer while I get everything else together.


Add cold butter to flour mixture and pulse gradually. Add the 4 tablespoons of water (one by one) to the flour and butter mixture, pulsing lightly after each addition. Continue to add water (only if needed) until the flour mixture has reached a pebbly stage. Mixture will not be wet, but you should be able to press it together with your fingers.


Empty it out of your food processor and form into two equal parts and wrap in plastic wrap in the fridge for at least 1 hour.




Preheat your oven to 425'.
Meanwhile combine blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch (I didn't have any cornstarch so I just substituted flour and it came out fine). Set aside.


On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 of your dough pieces into a rectangular shape. And then cut into 6 squares, (or semi-squares as mine turned out).
Spoon filling onto the middle of each square. Brush egg wash onto opposite points.

Fold these corners overfilling to form a triangle. Press firmly to seal. Make sure dough is tightly pressed around the filling too.

Transfer turnovers to a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut slits into the top of the turnovers, brush tops with the rest of the egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar






My second dough piece was not cooperating so..........

I turned the rest of my filling into this...


....using pre-made pie-crust that I had in the freezer, and cutting out decorative accents from MINE. Both were terrific. Eat the same day though. Not real good heated up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...